NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports announced yesterday that it has entered into a deal in which the two entities will begin sharing content.
Both entities will retain separate sites and editorial control over their content, but they will collaborate on sports news and events coverage both online and on the air. Yahoo! Sports’ content will also be included in the NBC Sports Group’s digital assets.
From NBC PR, here are some of the details of the new partnership:
· Editorial Depth: The combined talent roster of Yahoo! Sports and NBC Sports features a deep bench of award-winning reporters and commentators, such as NBC’s Bob Costas and Mike Florio; Yahoo!’s Dan Wetzel and Adrian Wojnarowski. Yahoo! Sports’ renowned investigative reporting will be featured on NBC TV, giving fans multiple-platform delivery.
· Original Video Programming Concepts: Yahoo! Sports and NBC Sports will work together to develop original made-for-web video programs that will appear on both Yahoo! Sports and NBCSports.com featuring fan favorites from among the award-winning editorial teams’ rosters, including:
o NBC Sports host and Emmy Award-winning commentator Bob Costas: video sports news interviews and editorials
o Football Night in America’sTony Dungy & Rodney Harrison: video segments during NFL season
o Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com: daily, weekday NFL web show,Pro Football Talk Live
o Rivals on Recruiting: weekly college recruiting show with Rivals and NBC Sports talent.
· Live Streaming: Yahoo! Sports will link to and promote the NBC Sports Live Extra video player. Fans will be able to watch live streams of some of NBC’s biggest events, starting with Sunday Night Football and NHL Game of the Week. Live content from NBC Sports Network will continue to be distributed through NBC Sports Live Extra on a TV Everywhere basis.
· Fantasy Sports: Yahoo! Sports, the leading fantasy platform, will become the exclusive fantasy game provider of NBC Sports’ Rotoworld, the premiere fantasy news and information site. This will include Yahoo! Sports’ fantasy experiences for football, baseball, hockey, soccer, College Bowl Pick’em and Tourney Pick’em.
· Rivals.com: The college sports destination will power recruiting and college sporting news for NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports Regional Networks.
· NBC Sports Regional Networks: The authentic, local sports properties will serve as Yahoo’s preferred content provider in relevant markets, and integrate Yahoo! Sports’ team pages, fantasy experts and sports talent.
· NBC’s Alli Sports: Providing youth-focused, action-sports video and other content to Yahoo!
“Passionate fans need news and analysis about their favorite teams in real time, and they want access to that information no matter where they are. We’re thrilled to combine Yahoo!’s fantasy offerings, product innovation and editorial authority with NBC’s broadcast coverage of live sports events and award-winning on-air talent. We think our users will love the result,” said Ken Fuchs vice president of Yahoo! Global Media and head of Yahoo! Sports and Games.
“The complementary nature of this partnership is unmatched in digital sports media,” said Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBC Sports Group. “Through our growing television and digital platforms, the Yahoo! Sports partnership dramatically expands the digital reach of NBC Sports around the biggest sporting events. We are committed to continually growing this alliance for the benefit of both parties, our sports-property partners, and, most importantly, sports fans.”