Here are some sports media news items making the rounds today…
- It’s a double header week of NFL action on the NFL Network. The network has its Thursday night affair tonight with the Jacksonville Jaguars at the Atlanta Falcons. The action returns Saturday night as NFLN brigs us the Dallas Cowboys at Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Both games begin at 8:00p.m. ET.
- HBO has announced that its 2011 finale of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel will air on Tuesday, December 20th. The program will feature a roundtable review of 2011 with Mary Carillo, Frank Deford, Jon Frankel, Bernard Goldberg, Armen Keteyian and Andrea Kremer. The program debuts December 2oth at 10:00p.m. ET.
- MLB Network has announced that former Cubs Hall of Famers Andre Dawson, Ferguson Jenkins, and Ryne Sandberg will be Bob Costas’ guests on the next edition of Studio 42 with Bob Costas. The program is set to premiere next Monday, December 19th at 9:00p.m. ET.
- The Golf Channel has announced the launch of a new mobile application for IOS and Android devices. Golf Channel Mobile 3.0 is available now for IOS and will be offered next week for the Android devices.
- ESPN today came out with a “Bowl Coverage by the Number” e-mail today. Here are some of the more interesting tidbits: ESPN has 33 boawl games over 24 days. Six games will be telecast in 3D. And the iron broadcast team award goes to Bill Rosinski, David Norrie and Joe Schad who will work five games on ESPN Radio. Announcers working four games include play-by-play commentator Joe Tessitore; analyst Danny Kanell; and reporters Tom Rinaldi, Heather Cox, Holly Rowe, Eamon McAnaney, Jeannine Edwards and Quint Kessenich.